~ Animals, Anxiety and Awareness ~

Riverside, sunlit stream splashes

Bravely on to adventures in the wilderness

Unexpected feathered friends

A stable companion at my side


Pictures can speak a thousand words.  My life consists of the beautiful joy that is animals and nature. Young me would be glad to know that everywhere I look, there is a precious creature of my own, staring back at me. 

To most of us, our animals and pets are so much more than just creatures we have around us day to day. They're instead cherished family members and
 life long friends. 

This is why I am so fascinated by Animal Assisted Therapy. The power they have subconsciously to support us is so special and overwhelming at moments. Confidence to walk along the street can bloom by simply having a dog beside you. A cat who leaves a heavy weight at the end of your bed, can be so comforting on a restless night of worries. Horses are intuitive enough to sense our heartbeat. They know if we're relaxed and calm or not.

Do we speak to our animals as if they are people because we know, somehow, some way, that they do understand? They read us often better than we do ourselves. I don't know about you, but it's feels good to be around anything that allows you to be yourself without judgement. 

Just recently, our beautiful Meadow where my ponies live, welcomed a new addition in feline form. 
A meadow cat. A quiet, rescue black and white puss cat, affectionately named Oreo.

In welcoming this shy little fellow, I felt his fear as if it were my own. His curious eyes gazing at me from the stable rafters, the soft touch of his head against my hand the moment he decided we could indeed be friends. 

Is it possible, I thought, that he chose to come to me because he knew that I understood his fear? I had felt that fear and anxiety myself. I served no judgement, I just wanted to give him a chance. A chance to be safe and cared for. We all would like that, wouldn't we?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, understanding and empathy go a long way. They're kinder emotions to the receiver and giver, no matter if your human or animal, and by tapping into them as often as we can, a lot of lovely things can follow. 

It is from trying to implement this into my own life, that I have formed wonderful attachments to horses and animals, and in so doing I've experienced the gift that is Animal Therapy. 

Whether they realise it or not, animals do offer us incredible self awareness and reflection. But, best of all of course, they offer unconditional love, which can feel in equal measure to that which we share with people. 

I think there is something rather magical about that, don't you. . .

So without any real set plan of writing today, I found some lovely photos, placed them on my blank page and found myself tapping away about these little thoughts, and the awareness and understanding animals have brought to my life . . . thanks to them, they've shown me where my path must lead . . . they've eased the anxiety of self, and with those affectionate head bumps and soft nuzzles, they've said so softly . . .

 ' You've got this ' 


*







Comments

Popular Posts